The people behind UB40’s Kingston Town are suing Paris Hilton’s record label saying her song Stars are Blind sounds a lot like their’s. They have brought a Ã‚Â£250,000 lawsuit ito the High Court in London, claiming breach of copyright over the song according to Daily Mail. What took them so long to realize that the songs sounded alike? I never really noticed it until I listened to both songs together, but then again I am not of fan of UB40. I prefer Paris’s song! Below are the songs what do you think?
Carol Burnett is suing Family Guy for $2 million for using her image and name without her permission according to Reuters. Burnett says the show committed copyright infringement by using her cartoon likeness from her variety show, The Carol Burnett Show. Burnett says she has exclusive rights to her name and image and the show did ask her to use either. She asked the show to edit her out of the scene and they have declined which is probably why she went ahead with the lawsuit?
A spokesman for 20th Century Fox Television, which produces “Family Guy,” said on Friday the suit was without merit and that references to Burnett and her show in an 18-second sequence of the cartoon amounted to parody. “‘Family Guy,’ like the ‘Carol Burnett Show,’ is famous for its pop culture parodies and satirical jabs at celebrities,” the studio said in a statement. “We are surprised that Ms. Burnett, who has made a career of spoofing others on television, would go so far as to sue ‘Family Guy’ for a simple bit of comedy.”
As a fan of both shows I think I am going to side with Family Guy on this one. You know that expression “what comes around, goes around” well as the spokesperson said she did the same thing all the time 40 years ago so what is the difference now?
Remember Mario Vasquez who quit American Idol and never gave a good reason, well looks like we might finally know why? But the person making the claim was fired from American Idol and waited two years to sue Vasquez, Fox and Fremantle. Having said that here is what came out today, a man who used to work as an assistant accountant for Freemantle claims that Vasquez sexually harassed him before he quit the show.
TMZ obtained the lawsuit that was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court today. In the lawsuit, Magdaleno Olmos claims "Vazquez stared lasciviously, smiled lasciviously … and on one occasion followed him into a bathroom … knocked on the door of the plaintiff's stall and made eye contact through the space in the stall door." The lawsuit alleges that Vazquez "started to rub his genitals over his pants. Attempting to leave the bathroom, Olmos opened the door of the stall and saw Vazquez standing in front of him with his pants down masturbating." According to the documents, Vazquez pushed Olmos "further into the stall and continued masturbating with one hand and trying to pull down Olmos' pants with another hand." Olmos claims that he tried to "cover his body with his hands" but Vazquez touched his "chest and stomach underneath his shirt, and Olmos' "genitals" as Vazquez "attempted to unzip" Olmos' pants. Vazquez then allegedly asked Olmos "if he wanted oral sex." In the lawsuit, Olmos claims that as he "managed to get out of the stall, and attempted to leave the bathroom," Vazquez, grabbed his arm "in an effort to stop him." Vazquez continued to call Olmos to come back as Vazquez "stood in the bathroom with his pants still down." In the suit, Olmos claims that he tried to report the incident to a superior named Eric LaPointe, who allegedly responded by telling Olmos that "he was crazy" and "repeatedly threatening to fire" him. A few months after the incident, Olmos claims he was "terminated." Olmos is also suing for wrongful termination.
It just seems so weird for this guy to come forward now two years later, 6 months after Vasquez's album came out and failed. The timing just seems so weird don't you think?
And I can't resist making this joke, but does anyone know if Vasquez's idol was George Michael?
Pop star Pete Burns revealed today he is suing his plastic surgeon for "wrecking his career and life". Burns, singer with 1980s pop band Dead or Alive, has had several cosmetic procedures on his face and is suing a Harley Street surgeon for an estimated £1million over a botched attempt to remove lip implants. In an exclusive interview he told the Standard he looked like he had been "mutilated with a Stanley knife" after surgery to correct the original problems left his top lip hanging off. The singer, who re-surfaced in last year’s Celebrity Big Brother, has had more than 100 operations by specialists in Italy to try to correct the damage but fears he will always be disfigured. Speaking from Italy, where surgeon Giovanni Ferrando is due to operate again on his lips, Burns said: "It has taken away my life and my career. I saw doctors in London who said the only option was to amputate my lips. I was suicidal. "Eventually I found a doctor in Italy who knew the product and said he could remove it. I had 17 months of procedures and now I am back again having more." Meanwhile Burns has lost his Notting Hill home and his singing career is in tatters, he said. In 2000 Burns went to Dr Maurizio Viel at the London Centre for Aesthetic Surgery to have a lip implant removed. But instead of having the original implant taken out, he was injected with a filler called Evolution and then later with another called Outline. Despite complications, Dr Viel persisted and injected more of the substance – only for the problems to escalate, causing swelling, blisters, discharge and lumps. Eventually the singer was left so disfigured he could not eat normally, could only drink through a straw and did not leave his house for months. He said his career would have been at its peak if it were not for the botched surgery, as he was about to record with the Pet Shop Boys and pursue a number of solo projects as well as launch a greatest hits album. Any settlement could top £1 million and forensic accountants are calculating how much he has missed out on in lost earnings. "As a result of the damage caused by the treatment, Pete has been unable to fully pursue his career in music and in the media. "Today we have issued court proceedings against Dr Viel." Allegations of negligence against Dr Viel are that he failed to warn adequately of the possible side effects, failed to observe warning signs on the product relating to its use in conjunction with other products and administered an excessive number of follow-up injections, which was contrary to the guidance given on the use of Outline Original. Burns said: "What happened to me after a series of injections was far worse than any nightmare I could have envisaged. Not only was it agonisingly painful but it was physically repulsive in the extreme. It was impossible to lead any life whatsoever. I was unable to leave my house as I was so distorted with swelling. "At times it leaves me seriously suicidal and depressed and I could have problems for the rest of my life." Lawyers for Dr Viel failed to respond.
Niki Taylor has filed a federal slander suit against E! Entertainment, claiming intentional infliction of emotional distress with its depiction of her in the new series Blvd. of Broken Dreams. According to court papers cited by the AP, E! allegedly told Taylor and her manager that the program would focus on the supermodel’s current professional endeavors and her charitable foundation. Instead, Broken Dreams dwelled on the Taylor’s past hardships, characterizing her as a celeb "who risked everything… and lost." Says Taylor in a statement, "My life is far from a ‘boulevard of broken dreams,’" which is actually a block-and-a-half from Tara Reid’s place.
That is so wrong, but then again all she had to do was not answer what she didn’t want to? She has hard life and now that things are going well for her I can understand why she did not want to bring that all up again.
In the latest comment in the controversy surrounding a proposed movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, New Line head Robert Shaye told SCI FI Wire in no uncertain terms that the studio won’t work with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson on that film or any other film. Ever. At least not as long as Shaye is in charge. Shaye’s comments marked the first time a New Line executive has commented publicly on the fracas since Jackson announced that he has pulled out of the project and also appears to harden New Line’s position against Jackson. "I do not want to make a movie with somebody who is suing me," Shaye—New Line’s chief executive officer—said in an interview on Jan. 5 while promoting The Last Mimzy, a New Line family fantasy that marks his first time in a director’s chair since 1990’s Book of Love. "It will never happen during my watch." Jackson had told TheOneRing.net in November that he and partner Fran Walsh were bowing out after New Line, which produced the Rings films and has production rights to The Hobbit, told them the studio was moving ahead with the project without them. Jackson has said he won’t discuss The Hobbit until a lawsuit against New Line over Rings accounting practices was settled. As far as Shaye is concerned, Jackson is no longer welcome. "There’s a kind of arrogance," Shaye said. "Not that I don’t think Peter is a good filmmaker and that he hasn’t contributed significantly to filmography and made three very good movies. And I don’t even expect him to say ‘thank you’ for having me make it happen and having New Line make it happen. But to think that I, as a functionary in [a] company that has been around for a long time, but is now owned by a very big conglomerate, would care one bit about trying to cheat the guy, … he’s either had very poor counsel or is completely misinformed and myopic to think that I care whether I give him [anything]." Shaye, who was also an executive producer on the Rings films, added: "He got a quarter of a billion dollars paid to him so far, justifiably, according to contract, completely right, and this guy, who already has received a quarter of a billion dollars, turns around without wanting to have a discussion with us and sues us and refuses to discuss it unless we just give in to his plan. I don’t want to work with that guy anymore. Why would I? So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I’m still working for the company." Shaye said that many of the Rings trilogy actors "suddenly, because, I’m guessing, of Peter’s complaint," have declined to participate in celebrating New Line’s 40th anniversary. "I’m incredibly offended," he said. "I don’t care about Peter Jackson anymore. He wants to have another $100 million or $50 million, whatever he’s suing us for. He doesn’t want to sit down and talk about it. He thinks that we owe him something after we’ve paid him over a quarter of a billion dollars. … Cheers, Peter." New Line’s hardened position against Jackson isn’t the end of the story, of course. MGM, which owns the distribution rights to The Hobbit, on Nov. 20 told Variety through a spokesman that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing the Hobbit films is far from closed." In his own online statement, Jackson said that New Line executive Mark Ordesky, who shepherded the Rings trilogy, argued that New Line is dumping Jackson because the studio has a "limited time option" on the film rights, obtained from Saul Zaentz.
I wonder how Peter Jackson feels to have something in common with Tom Cruise. It still amazes that me that he won an Oscar because I have seen his earier releases, but then again if Susan Saradon can do it any one can
Retired daredevil Evel Knievel is suing Kanye West, claiming the rapper ripped off his trademarked look in a recent music video in which the performer, using the handle "Evel Kanyevel," wears a red, white, and blue jumpsuit during a failed rocket ride over a gorge. Knievel, 68, charges that West copied his look down to a distinctive "EK" belt buckle in the video for "Touch The Sky," a single off his hit album "Late Registration." An excerpt from Knievel’s trademark infringement lawsuit, which was filed last Friday in U.S. District Court in Tampa, Florida, can be found below. Included as an exhibit to the complaint is a copy of a September 1974 Sports Illustrated cover showing Knievel–who was then preparing to jump Idaho’s Snake River Canyon on a rocket-powered contraption–in his trademark jumpsuit. As seen in the video still at right, the 29-year-old West’s outfit appears to be modeled on the Knievel threads. The lawsuit, which does not specify monetary damages, also names as defendants West’s record label and Chris Milk, director of the video, which debuted on MTV in February.
Lawsuit is the word: Olivia Newton-John is suing Universal Music Group Inc. for allegedly failing to pay more than $1 million in royalties on sales of the "Grease" soundtrack album. Newton-John starred with John Travolta in the 1978 movie version of the Broadway hit. The breach-of-contract suit was filed Friday in Los Angeles County Superior court. It contends that while Universal did pay some royalties on the album, it failed to make a range of other contractual payments, said John Mason, an attorney for Newton-John. According to the suit, a recent audit showed Universal owes more than $1 million to Newton-John’s company, ON-J Productions, Ltd. "The lawsuit is without merit and, at the appropriate time, we expect that the court will dismiss it," Universal said in a statement Tuesday.
Rapper Heavy D has sued his former insurance company for $1.5 million he says it owes him after the fatal stampede at a 1991 City College celebrity basketball event. The rapper, whose real name is Dwight Myers, had helped organize the event, and has since paid out $791,899 to settle lawsuits, court papers say. He’s suing for that, plus interest and legal fees, claiming that his $1 million insurance policy should have indemnified him. Nine students were crushed to death after 5,000 young people showed up at a gym capable of holding only half that number.
Kim Basinger is about to be arraigned in criminal court on criminal contempt charges. Former Hubby Alec Baldwin triggered the criminal case by alleging that Kim is guilty of a laundry list of violations in their ongoing custody dispute. Sources tell TMZ that Basinger will plead not guilty through her lawyer, Neal Hersh. The actress will not appear for the arraignment. The former couple has been locked in an epic custody battle over 10-year-old Ireland. Baldwin has alleged Basinger is thwarting his ability to parent. Basinger has said, right back at you, Alec.